Gubernatorial nominees Terry McAuliffe and Glenn Youngkin are raising record-breaking numbers in their campaigns for governor. The candidates have raised a combined $66 million so far, which is more than double the 2017 totals at the same point during that cycle. The data used comes from the Virginia Public Access Project.
For the latest fundraising numbers as of the end of August in this race:
- Republican gubernatorial nominee Glenn Youngkin raised $15,708,862.
- $4,500,000 of that was a loan from Youngkin to the campaign.
- Youngkin’s campaign has $6,028,745 cash on hand.
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee Terry McAuliffe raised $11,503,406.
- McAuliffe’s campaign has $12,626,065 cash on hand.
- Independent candidate Princess Blanding raised $1,258.
- Blanding’s campaign has $5,955 cash on hand.
More statewide candidate numbers
In the race for lieutenant governor:
- The Republican nominee Winsome Sears raised $630,192.
- The Democratic nominee Hala Ayala raised $800,081.
- Ayala has $888,121 cash on hand.
In the race for attorney general:
- The Republican nominee Jason Miyares raised $707,203.
- Miyares has $1,038,094 cash on hand.
- The Democratic nominee Mark Herring raised $1,452,180.
- Herring has $1,337,751 cash on hand.
Democrats outraise Republicans in the House of Delegates
With all 100 seats in the House of Delegates up for election this November, the Virginia Public Access Project reports that Democratic candidates outraised Republican candidates nearly two-to-one.
- House Democrats raised $11,826,701
- House Republicans raised $6,093,112
The numbers were made easily accessible by the Virginia Public Access Project.
Virginia Scope is an independent news publication that is funded largely by donations and subscribers. As local newsrooms are losing writers each day, we are trying to fill the void to ensure that the public is informed and that leaders are held accountable for their actions. Please consider becoming a paid subscriber to our newsletter or making a donation through Paypal below so we can continue to work in Virginia.