Virginia law allows for early voting to begin 45 days prior to the June 8 election, which is April 23. Any Virginian that is registered to vote will be able to participate in the Democratic primary.
- You do not have to have a reason or fill out an application to vote early.
- At the registrar’s office or satellite voting location, you must provide your name and address and show an acceptable form of ID or sign an ID Confirmation Statement. To view a complete list of acceptable IDs, visit the Voting In-Person page from the Department of Elections.
- Accessible equipment and/or curbside voting is available upon request.
- Click this link to apply online to vote by mail.
- All paper absentee application forms can be found on the Voter Forms page.
- Military and overseas voters can find specific information regarding absentee voting on the Military and Overseas page.
- After applying for mail-in abssentee, you can check to see if your absentee application was received, and whether your ballot was sent and received by going to the Citizen Portal.
The June 8 primary will determine the Democratic nominees for governor, lieutenant governor, and attorney general. Additionally, the voters in any House of Delegates districts that have multiple primary candidates will also be voting.
Republicans have chosen a convention, a party-run process, to select their statewide candidates. There is no early-vote option for the convention so Republican voters that have been approved to participate by their local GOP units must turn in their ranked-choice ballot at one of 37 voting locations on May 8.
Virginia Scope is an independent news publication that is funded largely by donations and subscribers. As local newsrooms are losing writers each day, we are trying to fill the void to ensure that the public is informed and that leaders are held accountable for their actions. If you can chip in a monthly subscription of whatever you can afford, even $1, it will go a long way to helping us. Subscribe here. You can also make a one-time donation below: